• To save lives by increasing organ donations from Jews to the general population (Jews and non-Jews alike).
• To educate Jews about the different halachic and medical issues concerning organ donation.
• To offer a unique organ donor card that enables Jews to donate organs according to their halachic belief.
• To provide rabbinic consultation and oversight for cases of organ transplantation.
• Helped save over 200 lives during the past 12 years.
• Performed a kiddush Hashem by changing perceptions about Jews regarding organ donation.
• Educated more than 35,000 people in more than 540 lectures.
• Recruited more than 230 rabbis to register and carry organ donor cards.
• Created dozens of rabbinic video testimonials, available at www.hods.org.
• Raised awareness of halachic support for organ donation by publishing more than 100 articles, editorials,
and letters to the editor.
Check out Guide Star to see how the Halachic Organ Donor Society rates as a non-profit organization.
A 10-year-old Jewish boy was injured in a car accident in New York City. Upon arrival at the hospital he was declared dead. The HOD Society facilitated consultation with several rabbis and his family ultimately chose organ donation. Eight lives were saved.
A 21 year-old Jewish girl in a New Jersey hospital was stricken with meningitis and declared dead. Her secular parents contacted the HOD Society to learn about the halachic issues surrounding organ donation. The HOD Society enlightened the parents about the different halachic positions. Consequently, the parents donated their child’s organs. Six lives were saved.
If you would like to help the HOD Society by volunteering your time or skills, please call 1-212-213-5087 or email email@example.com